Milk River from the bottle
Breastfeeding is much talked and written about. Every self-respecting mother should know at least ten ways to preserve lactation, fifty kinds of massages and have on hand a recipe book for a nursing mother and another one with recipes that contribute to a large milk production.
It is impossible even to argue about the value of mother's milk - what can better strengthen the emotional connection between the infant and the mother, what can better strengthen the immune system than breast milk? All the magazines, forums and any articles about newborns are full of these slogans. This is all true, but it happens that breastfeeding is completely impossible. But this does not mean that the "artificial" less healthy, less intelligent and less loved. Moreover, medicine, pediatrics and food industry do not stand still, and almost all adapted mixtures satisfy the needs of the child’s body.
Let's understand the reasons for the impossibility to establish the correct lactation.
The doctor forbade breastfeeding
According to statistics, only 4-6% of women cannot breastfeed their baby:
- women with severe heart and kidney diseases;
- with exhaustion and severe anemia;
- suffering from severe mental disorders;
- carriers of infectious diseases (AIDS, tuberculosis, syphilis, malaria, typhoid, hepatitis);
- suffering from an ana lacty (the complete absence of breast milk) or a hypoalaxy (an insufficient amount);
- having congenital or acquired anatomical changes in the breast.
Problems that make breastfeeding impossible are also possible for the baby itself:
- congenital metabolic diseases, phenylketonuria, galactosemia;
- congenital metabolic disorders.
Refusal to breastfeed may be due not to medical reasons, but social and personal reasons. Any supporter of breastfeeding would find them disrespectful:
- mother simply does not want to breastfeed;
- need to go to work or school;
- it seems that there is not enough milk;
- the milk seems to be too liquid / dissatisfied, etc.
How did they manage without mother's milk before?
In ancient times, children who did not get the mother's milk were fed milk of animals - cows, goats. But later it became known that the woman’s milk was very different from the “animal”, and in the middle of the 19th century they began to produce food on the principle of modern mixtures - the missing substances necessary for the development of the newborn were mixed into the milk. Nevertheless, it was only thanks to Louis Pasteur that it was finally possible to reduce the mortality from gastrointestinal infections - they began to apply heat treatment of the milk mixture, pasteurize and boil it. Well, then - more! With the development of biochemistry and technology, the preparation of mixtures was improved until pediatricians around the world recognized the mixture as a full substitute for breast milk, containing both vitamins and mineral salts, and split milk protein (or goat milk).
Eyes scatter, which mixture to choose?
The undeniable advantage of breast milk is that it is one and always ideal for a child. Milk adapted formulas are a huge amount and each "answers" for the age and needs of a particular child.
So where to start? First, let's look at what types of dry mixes exist.
- Primary formula - for children up to 6 months. The composition of this mixture corresponds to the metabolism of children in the first months of life. On its label is the figure one. The first stage milk formula is enriched with taurine, polyunsaturated fatty acids, L-carnitine. Its goal is to create conditions for maturation of the central nervous system, retina, normal physical development and synthesis of simple cold blood. The mixture at number one contains the entire necessary set of vitamins for newborns and children up to six months.
- The following formula is intended for children from 6 months. The label next to the name, respectively, is the number 2. Protein in this mixture is represented by casein - and its composition is wider than in the previous mixture, since the child needs to grow even more intensively. Accordingly, the entire set of vitamins and microelements is presented in full and meets the needs of a child aged 6 months or more.
- Universal mixes - from 0 to 12 months. The composition of these mixtures also fully meets the needs of the baby.
- Special blends. They are prescribed for certain physiological features of the child. For example, with frequent regurgitation or with severe intestinal colic. The range of special mixtures is lactose free, low lactose and hypoallergenic mixtures.
- Fermented milk mixture. In the manufacture of such a mixture is used bacterial fermentation, acids are added. Such mixtures are close in composition to breast milk. In addition, dairy mixtures are evacuated more slowly from the baby’s stomach, thereby increasing secretory function and promoting more successful digestion. Thanks to them, improves metabolism and strengthens the immune system.
- Non-adapted mixtures. Pediatricians strongly discourage the use of such mixtures for feeding children in the first year of life. However, there are parents who can not afford the adapted mixture. In such extreme cases, doctors recommend diluting the milk mixture with boiled cereal broth.
Mixed feeding can hardly be compared to completely artificial. It can be considered a supplement or temporary measure. Perhaps lactation will be restored in full, and the baby will become a baby. Or it is necessary to pass to artificial feeding. Its main feature is that the baby is not devoid of breast milk. The need for a mixed diet may arise for various reasons: the mother needs to leave the house, and expressed milk is not or is not enough, the doctor prescribed drugs to the nursing woman, contraindicated in breastfeeding. When the need for a mixture disappears, the child fully returns "to the chest."
Sometimes mixed feeding is used when the child gains weight poorly or when expressed fasting - the child is capricious, he has a rare chair, he does not gain weight or he adds little.
To find out if the baby is hungry, it is necessary to weigh it during the week before and after feeding, and depending on the age needs and the actual amount of sucked milk, increase the quantity of the mixture. Such use of artificial nutrition of the infant is called supplement. At the same time it is necessary to constantly put the baby to the breast so that breast milk is not lost. Pediatricians do not recommend giving a mixture from a bottle (the baby may refuse to breast, having tried an easier way of "food extraction", but judging by the current range of nipples, you can not worry about it).
Eat, baby, whenever you want!
Doctors have long calculated the daily need of the child in the main food elements.
|age||energy Kcal kg||proteins g kg||fat g kg||carbohydrates g kg|
When artificial feeding is recommended 6-7 meals a day and at intervals of at least 3-3.5 hours in the daytime. And 6-7 hour night interval. This is in theory. In practice, babies often ask for a bottle at night. And of course, they should not be starved. But perhaps the baby does not want to eat as much as to drink. Babies who are bottle-fed need to drink boiled water. But, again - in everything there should be a measure. Water should not replace food!
In addition, the need for milk in a child varies depending on the time of day, so many doctors recommend the use of free feeding mixtures. You can feed the breast all day long, and the child does not pereoste, with mixtures all the more difficult. There are even special techniques because the amount of the mixture per day should be strictly limited. For example:
- the child determines the time of meals and even the number of feedings, while the doctor prescribes a certain amount of the mixture;
- the child decides how much to eat, but the number of feedings is limited;
- hours of feeding are prescribed by the doctor, and the child chooses the volume of food himself, but within certain limits.
Such free artificial feeding is unacceptable for inexperienced parents who still do not know that a child can cry not only from hunger. This technique is best used if the child is completely healthy and the parents have sufficient experience.
It should be borne in mind that with free and dosed feeding the indicators are the child’s behavior and the dynamics of their weight gain.
What is a mixture, and what is it eaten with?
Industrial mixtures are produced in the form of a dry powder, which must be diluted with warm (37-38 degrees) boiled water. Some mixtures are sold in liquid form and require heating, and some generally need to be boiled.
The preparation of the mixture should be carried out immediately before feeding, the remnants of the mixture should be poured, and with the next feeding you should prepare a new mixture. The mixture cannot be used if more than three hours have passed since the moment of preparation.
When preparing the mixture, follow the instructions on the jar or box exactly. Do not use more powder on the specified amount of water, it can lead to irreversible changes in the child's gastrointestinal tract!
It should be remembered that when artificial feeding food lasts longer in the stomach, so the amount of the mixture and the intervals between feedings are strictly limited.
The bottle and nipple should be sterile (they can simply be boiled in a saucepan with water after each feeding).
The hole in the nipple should be such that the mixture stands out in drops, not a trickle.
It is necessary to hold the bottle so that the nipple is completely filled with milk, otherwise the child will begin to swallow air.
Some doctors advise starting artificial animals for a month or more, but, according to pediatrician Olga Belyaeva: “Adapted milk formula fully meets the needs of the baby. , provided that it is literate, does not affect the future health of the baby in any way. In my opinion, health, and intelligence, and attachment to the mother, do not depend on the way they were fed baby. "
Golden rules of artificial feeding
- It is better to underfeed than overfeed.
- Constantly monitor the condition of the child and his weight.
- Not to make hasty conclusions "this mixture does not suit us," since it takes time to adapt to the mixture, and frequent change of mixtures is very harmful.
- It must be borne in mind that a child may need a much smaller amount of the mixture than his parents suggest. No need to aggressively offer a mixture if the baby is already turning away from the bottle.
- When choosing a mixture, one should take into account the age of the child: the smaller the children, the more adapted the mixture they need.
- When feeding the mixture you should not get involved in "feeding", you need to feed the child according to needs, as well as during natural feeding.
Of course, breast milk is the best that mother can give to her baby. But do not be discouraged and put a cross on yourself as a mother, if something does not work. The emotional connection between you will not be interrupted, even if instead of a breast, you give the baby a bottle! Today, the mixture allows you to fully provide the body with all the necessary baby, and everything else - the care of parents and closest people. After all, the most important thing is harmony in my mother's soul!